March 11, 27, 2020. Another program “B for Belarus” on PRIMUS radio. This time the major theme of the program is “Belarusians and their moneys. BYN-roubel, $-dollar, euro and other kinds of money and their substitutes”. We cover this theme with Vladimir Baranich, a country consultant and media analyst.
- $-dollar as a savior of household savings and means to defend from hostile government.
- Hard currencies and Belarusian rouble in the 1990-ies. Pain of financial illiteracy. Why over 70% of Belarusians still save in $-dollars.
- Inflation and devaluation as means of confiscation.
- Is a national currency an indispensable part of the national sovereignty?
- Hard currency in Belarus today. Where and how can you use it?
- The notion “conditional unit” or “notional unit” as a way to say “US dollar”.
- Why Belarusians are so reluctant about investing in stocks and bonds?
Vladimir's info outlet is http://expat.by/